We’re looking for a full-time Systems Administrator.
Your new job-to-be
As our next Systems Administrator, you’ll need to innovate and maintain services through Google Cloud Platform for our public sector clients. You pride yourself on your attention to detail and have a desire for consistency and repeatability. You’ll look for ways to optimize how we work to make us more efficient; you don’t believe in band-aid solutions. In this role, you will work with our clients to ensure sure they have a great experience and top-tier support.
We’re not going to tell you what to do – we’re counting on you to figure out the real problem and how to solve it. We don’t expect you to be an expert at everything to start, but a person who is willing to learn something new and is excited to start solving interesting infrastructure problems. We need someone that’s not afraid to ask questions or pipe up with new ideas. We want you to be ready, willing, and excited to keep up with the industry.
- Build, scale, and maintain infrastructure
- Apply system and application security patches
- Create and test deployment plans for new services, new solutions, and updates
- Follow and digest detailed technical instructions
- Document issues, solutions, and network environments
- Collaborate with your team and accept feedback
- Respond promptly to support requests from our clients through a ticketing system, phone support, and email
- Monitoring and responding to urgent client and/or data center issues 24/7/365 as part of an on-call rotation through PagerDuty
The thanks you’ll get
- Competitive compensation rates
- Feedback based on regular 1:1s
- Medical, dental, and extended health benefits
- Annual health spending account
- Monthly lifestyle spending allowance
- Annual education allowance
As our next full-time Systems Administrator, you’ll be joining either our Edmonton, AB or Vancouver, BC team.
Who you are
We care about our culture here at YP. Your personality is just as important to us as your qualifications. We’re looking for somebody who is:
Interested and motived
Our industry is changing every second. We need you to be ready, willing, and excited to keep up with it.
Already awesome, but ready to be awesomer
Be ready to get your hands dirty (not with actual dirt. Intellectual dirt). We won’t tell you what to do, we’ll collaborate with you to discover the best way to do it.
Always trying to get better
Training and development is a huge part of our values. We want you to be good at what you do, but we also want you to look for ways to get even better.
Ready to make an impact
The best part of Yellow Pencil? Anyone can help change how the company works. Got a better idea? Shout it out. Thought of something new? Make it happen.
Good on paper
Okay, your qualifications are important too.
- 3+ years experience supporting servers and it’s users
- Can explain complex technical scenarios to clients in language they can understand
- Exceptional skills in troubleshooting and critical thinking
- Know, love, and embrace automation
- Writes killer technical documentation
- Responsible and independent – can work with little supervision
- You should know a lot about scaling, maintaining, and troubleshooting these technologies:
- Google Cloud Platform (or similar)
- Ubuntu Linux (or similar)
- Apache, Nginx
- MySQL, MariaDB, Postgres
- Familiar with PHP, Python, and BASH
- Intimate with best practices in website and database security
Bonus points if you know anything about:
But hey, if your background doesn’t quite match up with this list, but you know you’ll be a perfect fit – tell us why. We’ll listen.
To be a catalyst for the digital transformation of the public sector.
- We value both collaboration and reflection
- We value both insight and optimization
- We value both craft and discipline
Working at Yellow Pencil means:
- A constant commitment to learning and growth
- Delivering the highest quality work possible on every project
- A people-first workplace. We want you to love being here as much as we do
- Work/life balance. We like that people have lives outside of the office
So apply now!
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, and tell us why you’re awesome.